Life is full of miracles. Having a child is one of the greatest experiences a woman will ever have. But, just because we’re excited to be moms doesn’t mean our bodies are quite over the ordeal. A woman’s body does miraculous things to ensure babies are born healthy and happy. Unfortunately, new moms aren’t always so happy with their bodies after pregnancy and often find that there is a need to tone muscle and lose weight. Laila Milanian, a certified personal trainer and Pilates instructor, wants to help women restore their youthful appearance after pregnancy. Listed here are Laila Milanian’s top 5 tips for shedding those post-pregnancy pounds.
· Drink plenty of water. Laila Milanian reminds new moms that the first step in losing weight is drinking plenty of water. Drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water per day can help ensure that your body has what it needs to stay hydrated and function properly. Staying hydrated is especially important for new mothers who are breastfeeding.
· Fill up on healthy foods. Just because you’re trying to shed the baby pounds doesn’t mean you need to quit eating. Laila Milanian recommends eating 5 to 7 small meals per day that include healthy items like fish, fresh fruits and vegetables, and dairy. In Laila Milanian’s experience, it is always best to consult your physician before starting a structured diet. New moms need to consume an adequate amount of calories in order to ensure breastfeeding babies have the nutrients they need.
· Exercise daily. As a fitness enthusiast, Laila Milanian knows that exercising daily increases concentration, energy, and helps women achieve optimal health. In order to lose weight, strengthen muscles, and regain a healthy muscle tone, Laila Milanian recommends exercising at least 30 minutes per day, 5 days a week.
· Make small changes. In Laila Milanian’s experience, making small changes to your routine can be an easy way to trick yourself into staying fit. For example, new moms can position baby items, such as changing stations, a good distance away from a common area in order to promote more exercise during the day.
· Get some rest. While this is easier said than done with a new baby around, it needs to become a priority for new moms, according to Laila Milanian. Failing to get adequate rest can increase stress which, in turn, can lead to decreased motivation and weight gain. In order to care for yourself and your baby, Laila Milanian reminds new moms to take time out to rest.